Printmaking 1 part 1 Project 3 – Variations using masks and multi-colours

 

This section was all about experimenting with masks, layers of colours, painted printing plates etc. To start off I experimented with layering colours using the same mask. First of all I overprinted a positive mask in a different colour and then overprinted with the negative mask in a third colour.

 

IMG 2712

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I liked the effect of this.

I experimented with different masks, here I used a piece of paper paced at an angle to create interest at the corners.

IMG 2678

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also overprinted ghost prints to create multicoloured backgrounds.

IMG 2680

IMG 2690

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here I rotated the masks to get mirror prints

IMG 2682

IMG 2685

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2718

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next stage was to explore the possibilities of texturing the ink surface to add a further dimension to the final print. I had great fun with this.

Here are some of the initial textures I created by impressing various items into the ink:

IMG 2719

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2720

IMG 2721

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2723

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next I used a combination of textured ink and masks:

IMG 3248

IMG 3249

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2708

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2726

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2741

IMG 2739

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next we were asked to make a print depicting a landscape or townscape. I decided on a townscape. I did this in layers with rollers and masks, texturing the ink with bubble wrap.I can see the possibilities to take this forward which I will do in the next section.

IMG 2744

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Lastly we were asked to create a design directly on the printing plate using a cotton bud to wipe away the ink. On the second print I used some torn pieces of paper to create a mask. I then overprinted onto a ghost print. Other variations are using the masks in a collage.

 

IMG 2826

IMG 2823

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2824IMG 2822

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here are some more experiments with a cotton bud!

IMG 2580

IMG 2582

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2583

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2581

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG 2584

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am looking forward to using a variety of these techniques in the next section where i will work on producing four completed final monoprints.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: