For the last project for assignment 1, we were asked to create a series of four different prints from our own subjects and imagination, each one combining two or more of the techniques practised throughout this assignment.
I started off by looking back through my work and tried to think of four contrasting subjects which would lend themselves to a variety of techniques.
My initial ideas were to create the following:
1. A cityscape using masks for the buildings, textures for the sky and then back drawn detail of tree and windows.
2. A backdrawn monoprint of figures on a textured/masked background.
3. An abstract print using masks, textured background and back drawn detail.
4. A still life of a row of cups or pots on a shelf created by printing masked cups with wiped off detail
I set about doing various sketches and collages to get some ideas and plan how I was going to achieve the results I had in mind.
I had an overall idea so made a collage to consider layout.
This postcard gave some ideas for a silhouetted cityscape
So I made another collage….
Then I made some sketches from photos I had taken to get some ideas for the detail:
I planned to crete some back drawn monoprints of people and started off with some sketches from some of my photos.
I liked this photo of my son with some friends and decided to experiment with some back drawing using this figures.
I traced the outline of the photos first…
First attempt to create back drawn mono print from the image:
3. Abstract: I started off by playing about with some cut out shapes which I then added some detailing to.abstract – 50s inspired -backdrawn detail – think more about negative space
4. Still life: Some ideas for composition and detailing